We all love watching videos and listening to music on our Windows PC. But, Windows 10 built-in media player is not really impressive and doesn’t offer so many other options. So, I have decided to find out about all the top Media Players for free.
I tried all of these media players so You do not have to scrap the internet all day long to find out good media players for Windows 10. Also, one more important thing is that these media players are free of charge.
So what do you need to do?
Learn little more about these media players, read their pros and cons, and download as many of them as possible. Try some of them, and settle on the best. So, let’s get going, Here is a list of the best and free media players for Windows 10. starting with the VLC media player.
1. VLC Media Player
VLC must be the most common media player of this age. I sat my friends a few days ago just to ask them of three media players they know. VLC made it into their top three. Well, what makes it this popular?
- Foremost, VLC is available in most if not all platforms. VLC is a creation of a non-profit, the VideoLAN Project.
- Also, This media player supports varied audio and video formats—moreover, multiple video, and audio compression methods.
- Furthermore, VLC is simple to use and easy to navigate. You also have access to multiple customization options. These options allow you to enhance the appearance of your background as media plays.
- Lastly, You can use VLC to stream on YouTube. The good part? VLC receives frequent updates. For me, this is my first alternative to Window Media Player.
- VLC is supported on OS versions Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10.
2. GOM Media Player
Also Gretech Online Movie Player, GOM is a great alternative to VLC and Windows Media Player(WMP). GOM comes with built-in support for both audio and video formats.
Most of the time I prefer to play music on GOM. The reason is that it is louder and finer than WMP. Formats supported include MOV, AVI, FLV, MP4, and MKV, among others.
- Foremost, To the usual features of any media player, GOM comes with good speed control. A simple right-click on the screen as media plays opens you to multiple options.
- For instance, you can download subtitles. All you need to do is search for the subtitle online, download it, and upload it to play alongside the video. This GOM for Windows 10 is linkable to OpenSubtitles.org for most subtitles.
- Also, the skin feature allows you to change how GOM looks. In case some file types fail to open, you can get the missing codec. How? With the help of GOM’s Codec Finder.
- GOM Player functions well on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 OSs.
If you need a media player that threatens VLC’s features, then PotPlayer is one of them. This player is a product of a South Korean company, Kakao.
- PotPlayer allows you to make customizations and make the software appearance more personal. The PotPlayer offers you the best experience and performance.
- I found that PotPlayer supports more versions than VLC itself. On it, you can play almost anything-MKV, FLV, MP4, AVI, name them.
- Besides, you can choose your preferred soundcard. Moreover, you can bookmark favorite parts of your media and even preview them.
- Also, PotPlayer plays 3D videos and supports most 3D glasses. On top of that, it has impressive hotkeys and keyboard shortcuts.
- PotPlayer installs and plays perfectly on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.1 and 10 OS.
KM comes with amazing capabilities. Most of which I want to share here.
- First, KMPlayer is perfect for its ability to play most mainstream audio and video using its inbuilt codec for Windows 10. (Besides, you could add more external codecs if you need.)
- Also, you need a media player that offers you high definition videos? Well, KMPlayer offers you 3D, UHD, and 4K high definitions support.
- If you love playing with audio and video effects, then KM is a good fit. The options are many for you to use.
- One exciting bit: You can edit the subtitles on your own. Furthermore, you can choose the favorite parts of your video and replay them.
- KMPlayer runs well on any Windows OS from Windows XP to Windows 10.
5. 5K Player
As the name states, 5K is a huge media player. If you need a player that does not ask for additional plugins, this is it.
- 5K player is compatible with multiple video formats and codecs. Formats supported include M4V, MP4, MP3, MOV, and AAC.
- Also, The user interface is simplistic and not flooded with features like some.
- 5K comes with plenty of streaming options.
- Besides, you can also import music and video from MTV, YouTube, Facebook, and Vimeo, among others.
- Interesting bonus capabilities: It can download videos from multiple sites and has internal AirPlay support.
- 5KPlayer runs well on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10 OS.
MediaMonkey is one the latest but cannot miss on the list of the best yet free. The unique feature of MediaMonkey for Windows(MMW) is that it allows you to organize your music. More features are in this coming section.
- First, MediaMonkey is an intelligent file tagger. In case you have a file that lacks metadata, MediaMonkey tags it for you.
- You can get the most of MediaMonkey by adding some plugins to it. The plugins will make your player appear more exciting.
- Moreover, the add-ons improve this media player’s device playback and device support. Besides, the MMW player demonstrates more music discovery capabilities.
- OS versions that support Media Monkey include Windows 7,8.1, and 10.
Plex is your large media collection player. Media collections could be anything-videos, photos, personal videos, music, and TV shows, among others.
- First, this media player makes your playlist appear interesting by organizing media. This capability in Plex allows you to manage your library with ease.
- You can decide what on your playlist to make public. Moreover, what media is accessible to your family.
- You can get free movies and Tv shows from renowned studios on Plex highlight. Plex highlight is add supported. On it, you can stream from Warner Bros, Lionsgate, and MGM among others.
- Plex video player for Windows 10 supports a limitless number of hi-fi video and music formats.
- Plex is Chromecast supported, allowing you to cast video on larger screens.
- With the Plex app, you could manage your player on the phone and tablet remotely.
- Plex Media Player runs perfectly on Windows 7, 8.1, and 10.
8. Movies and TV Media Player
If you have a Windows 10, you have probably come across this media player. It is in-built. Well, there are amazing things you may not know about this player.
- First, the miniature look makes it easier to manage personal videos on your PC.
- Movies and TV, also Windows video player, lacks those special features in others. Nevertheless, it has its own unique capabilities, such as Xbox support.
- It has a mini mode that allows video to play at the top when multitasking. Movies and TV supports a limited number of media formats but can play 360 videos.
- Movies and TV is only compatible with Windows 10.
9. Media Player Classic
In case you need a Home Cinema-like media player, the Media Player Classic is what you need. Media Player Classic is a product of its community of fans after its development stalled. So, why has it made to this list of the best?
- First, compared to its classical version, this new creation is a complete improvement of the former. It is both lightweight and speedier.
- Although not feature-packed, Media Player Classic loads on any computer. Starting with the oldest version, there is.
- Media Player Classic is an outstanding DVD player for your Windows 10. One has options for downloading subtitles. Besides, it has options for Skype integration.
- Other capabilities include the fact that it supports more formats than VLC. The audio performance is the next level, and its response is sleeker.
- Media Player Classic supported OS versions include Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10.
10. ACG Player
ACG is a cleaner version of the UWP media player software for Windows 10. But why does it show up on this list of the best?
- Well, ACG is lightweight although packed with basic media player capabilities. ACG has both video and audio effects, art font subtitles, gesture control, a music visualizer, and background music, among others.
- ACG supports multiple media codecs and has no policy that limits it.
- You can playback using files, discs, and external drives. If this ACG light version does not work for you, you could use Ax-Lite. Ax-Lite is faster but lacks some benefits found on ACG.
- You can install your ACG media player from the Windows App Store. The unique bit of ACG is its minimalistic design and tough interface.
- ACG runs perfectly only on Windows 10.
11. DivX Player
DivX is a top ten media player on this list. If you need a player that plays popular formats like MP4, AVI, MKV, and DivX, then DivX is the perfect fit.
- DivX is good for its playback capabilities. It can do UltraHD and free HEVC playback.
- DivX is the perfect streaming media player since you can use it to stream media to any device compatible with DLNA.
- If you like jumping to favorite video scenes, you will like DivX Trick Play. Besides, Chapter Points allows you to play various scenes.
- You can track content both private and purchased with its smart media library.
- You can switch between soundtracks as DivX supports various audio formats.
- You can jump back to where you left the video using the Resume Player capability.
- DivX supported platforms include Windows XP, Vista,7, 8.1, and 10
If you are looking for a media-center experience, then Kodi is what you need. So makes it stand out? We’re about to find out.
- Kodi is easy to customize and is usable on your desktop and laptop.
- This media player poses a high competition for streaming on other players. The streaming is even better when using a larger external display. This is possible because of its 10-foot interface.
- However, Kodi has some shaky reputation because of allowing add-ons supporting piracy.
- Kodi supports most music and video media formats on your device and the cloud.
- Some Kodi plugins support functionalities like Hulu, Veoh, Netflix, and YouTube.
- Kodi supported OS versions Window 7, 8.1, and Windows 10.
Having that perfect media player makes your audio and video experience exciting. You do not have to buy a media player. There are excellent media players for you online, most of which are free of charge. The above list should get you going. Choose one, two, or more, try them, and choose what gives you the best media experience on Windows 10.