Occasionally, I go through my PC and delete some unwanted files. In the process, I even deleted the most important ones. I kept doing this a lot until I resorted to having a data recovery software. I checked online, and most of the data recovery software was paid. However, the internet always has us covered. I discovered the best free data recovery software.
Now, I know that you may be careful. Nevertheless, we are human, and we fall short. Here, I have a list of the best yet free data recovery software I discovered. Choose one or more, download any of them, and have them on standby. But before that, learn about the data recovery here, to make the right choice. Okay… Let’s talk about the most trusted and free data recovery software for Windows 10.
I made Recuva number one on my list because it impressed. One thing that stood out… Well, it was easy to use, considering it had lots of advanced features.
- Recuva restores files from your external drives, hard disks, and other removable drives. If you lost data on your iPod, it could recover those files.
- The upsides of Recuva are clear. Foremost, it comes with a portable option. There is a limitless amount of advanced recovery capabilities. Also, you will understand the interface at first sight. You can also recover data from USB flash drive.
- The downside: The updates are not that regular.
- Any Windows PC Windows 98, ME, NT,2000, Server 200/2003, XP,7 to 10 can recover files with Recuva.
- If your Windows runs on 64-bit, it can support Recuva. Besides, there is a 64-bit version of Recuva.
EaseUS Data Recovery recovers your files with the least clicks. However, there is more that makes it the best.
- When opening EaseUS, you may think it is Windows Explorer. The reason is that the design is almost similar. Therefore, a familiar-looking window.
- You can retrieve accidentally deleted photos and videos from Android phone using Easeus on Windows 10 laptops or Desktop. Following some particular steps you can also recover deleted photos from iPhone also.
- EaseUS recovers files on anything that Windows considers a storage device. Therefore, files are recoverable from your camera, iOS devices, memory cards, optical drives, among others.
- Well, you can only recover up to 500MB. Sharing information about Recuva on social media using the share button, allows you to recover up to 2GB. For more, you will need to upgrade.
- Sorry…it made it to this list as free, why? Because there is a high chance most of the files you may recover will be less than 2GB.
- Upsides: you can preview a file before recovering it. You can keep the results of the first scan to avoid scan your drive again next time. Allows you to sort files base on data of deletion, type, and file name.
- Downsides: Lacks a portable version. Moreover, limited to recovery, 2GB only.
- EaseUS data recovery is compatible with both macOS(versions 10.9-10.15) and Windows OS(Windows XP to Windows 1, also Windows Server 2003,2008, and 2012).
3. Disk Drill
- Disk Drill stands out for its simplistic design. I figured out how to use it in the least time. But what it even better?
- You can recover data from any device. Note that you can restore data up to 500MB,
- Disk Drill allows you to preview a file before recovery, pause the scan, and resume scan. Also, you can make a partition recovery, do quick scans. Moreover, you can save scan results for future recovery.
- The pros: You can filter results by data and size. You can choose a quick scan over a fulls can for quick results. Also, you can organize deleted files for easier viewing.
- Downsides: Data recovery limited to 500MB. You have installed it on your hard disk. You cannot know whether a file is recoverable before restoring it.
- Disk Drill works perfectly on macOS 10.8.5 to the newest version Windows 7 OS to the latest.
4. SoftPerfect File Recovery
SoftPerfect File Recovery allows you to locate search for any recoverable file. Using SoftPerfect is very simple.
- SoftPerfect restores data on most storage devices except CD and DVD drives.
- SoftPerfect is pretty small in size, about 500KB. You can save it on a portable drive and use it on any computer wherever you are.
- The upsides include The ease of use and its portability. You can restore more than one file at a go. Moreover, you can search for a deleted file by name and extension.
- The downsides are: You cannot preview image file to restore it. Also, you cannot know how successful recovery may be. Noteworthy, it supports only two commonly used file systems.
- Supported platforms include Windows 95 to 8. I tried in on my Windows 10 it worked perfectly. ( also functions well on 64-bit OS)
5. Puran File Recovery
Puran File Recovery software scan any drive detected by Windows is easy to use and has advanced restore capabilities. But what makes it show up in the list of the best.
- One of my friends had Puran. I just wanted to compare it with my SoftPerfect.Well, to my surprise, it scraped more recoverable files than SoftPerfect.
- Another interesting fact is that Puran File Recovery restores any lost partitions in case you did not overwrite them.
- The benefit of Puran File Recovery is you can know how success a file recovery may be. Puran can easily scan NTFS and FAT12, 16, and 32 file systems. Moreover, it can run as a portable version.
- The disadvantage is that Puran File Recovery is only available for home use. Not for your business. Also, it has never undergone any updates since 2016.
- Puran File Rec Recovery is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10. There are also portable versions for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows OS versions.
6. Glary Undelete
Glary Undelete comes with an amazing user interface. You can easily figure out how to use it for a few minutes. There is still more that makes it stand out than other data recovery Softwares.
- Glary Undelete comes with an amazing Folders view. The recoverable files are in Explorer-style appearance.
- You can know how successful recovery maybe with its State option.
- Glary recovers files from hard drives and any removable media there is.
- Other benefits include its portability and that you can view deleted files.
- The downside is that you have to use to install it to use it. Also, its update happened a long while ago.
- Glary Undelete is compatible with all Windows OS versions ( XP and backward and upwards to Windows 10).
7. Wise Data Recovery
Wise Data Recovery is quick to install and can scan your PC speedily. There is even more that makes it show up on this list of the best free data recovery software.
- Wise Data has instant search functionality. The scans done are usually quick.
- Moreover, you can choose whether you want a quick scan or the full scan. (This depends on the suspected duration of deletion).
- The interesting bit: Wise Data Recovery is available in a more portable version.
- The upside is that it is quick to scan recoverable files. It also has a more portable option.
- The downside is that when recovering your files, the folder structure is lost. Also, you cannot know whether recovery will be successful.
- Wise Data Recovery works with Windows 10 to Windows XP.
Restoration is one of the simplest data recovery software in this list. More capabilities that qualify Restoration to this list are as below.
- Foremost, deleting files has been made easy with no complicated command buttons to execute.
- Also, all the tools you need to use are in one window.
- Restoration can recover files from any storage drive there is.
- This free data recovery software is small and does not any installation. (You can carry it on your drive and run it on any PC)
- The upside is that you can search for deleted files that are empty. Moreover, it allows you to sort data and every overwrite deleted data.
- The downside is that it does not show recoverability of your file before restoration. Also, you only can only restore a file at a time.
- Restoration, run well on all windows version from Vista to 95 and 7 to 8.1. However, you may have issues running it on Windows 8 and 10.
As the name suggests, FreeUndelete is a free undeleting tool. FreeUndelete is similar to other data recovery files but possesses a few impressive capabilities.
- Foremost, FreeUndelete has an easy to use interface. Recovered files open in a folder drill down form such that big files do not look like an unbearable listing.
- FreeUndelete is good for recovering files from any storage device connected to your PC.
- Other upsides include: It is more portable. It also has good filtering and sorting options. You can also restore a whole folder at ago or separately. Moreover, you can know recoverability before restoring.
- The downside: Favours home users only. Not available for commercial purposes.
- FreeUndelete is compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
10. UndeleteMyFiles Pro
First, do not be scared by the word “pro.” Undelete is free of charge. UndeleteMyFiles also possesses other special capabilities. Here are some.
- There are two ways you can view your files. There is a tree view and a detailed view.
- You could also preview a file before you restore it. (Here, the file is restored temporarily, and then you can open it.)
- You can take a screenshot of your computer, and have all the data in a single file. Then, you can skim through the file, find missing one, and restore it to your PC.
- The only issue is that UndeleteMyFiles does not tell you of the state of your file.
- You can also search for a file based on size, attributes, type, and file location.
- Undelete works well in Windows XP and Windows 8. I tried it on my Windows 10, but the performance was not as expected.
Files can be lost even when we do not want to. Sometimes even the last copy is not there. A good data recovery software can help make things right. You do not have to buy it. That’s why you will find this list of best free data recovery tools important. All the best!